Search This Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2013

"Stripping" the sexy: October pole blog hop

We all know pole has a stigma. Many of us hide our poler side from others in order to protect ourselves from job discrimination, family drama, being shunned, etc. Due to this stigma, there is a "sanitization" movement occurring in pole. I do not mean rubbing alcohol on the poles to get off our grip aid residue. No, the goal of this movement is to make pole more accepted in the mainstream world, by stripping out any element that ties pole to the exotic dance industry. But is this "sanitization" really necessary?



Many of us know that pole has been a part of the Chinese circus arts, and a lot of the power moves in pole are based off of Chinese pole. We have to admit, though, that the sexier side of pole does have some "exotic" influence. Is that a problem? Of course not! Why should there be anything wrong with sexy? One of the things I love about pole is that it is such a fusion of many dance and fitness forms. I've seen ballet, jazz, martial arts, gymnastics, and bellydance fused into pole. It's such a versatile sport! This versatility allows for the sexy side to come out.

People automatically think you are an exotic dancer if you pole. If you are a sexy poler, then that stigma is even more prominent. Now, let me state that I have a healthy respect for exotic dancers, but I am not one. Just like I cannot claim to be a English teacher; I am NOT one. But, why is it bad to be thought of as an exotic dancer? They are sexy, confident women! Don't we all aspire to be that? Pole enables women (and men) to feel empowered, whether it be through seductive movements or power trickster moves; feeling weightless in a spin or feeling strong. Why should it matter how pole empowers us? It only matters that it DOES! It is so hard now-a-days to feel confident in ones own skin. We are constantly being bombarded with images that are not like our own body, and that brings upon negative feelings. Pole helps counteract that! I love pole tricks, but I can honestly say that I love putting on my heels and going all Alethea Austin!

We all know that there is a movement to get pole into the Olympics, and in doing so, pole is being stripped down of it's sexy completely. Moves are being given generic numbers instead of names, certain moves are prohibited, heels are banned, and costuming is being restricted. Now, I respect why they are doing it, to help get pole out there and seen as the true sport it is...but I LOVE MY HEELS! I get asked all the time, are the heels necessary? Well, no, but they are fun! Why wouldn't I wear gorgeous sexy heels in a sport that allows it, and even encourages it? Part of what I love about belly dancing was getting dolled up in elaborate, and often homemade, costumes. I'm a girl, and I love to play dress up. Even better when I can look hot while exercising!

Now, is it necessary to strip the sexy essence out of pole, in order to make it mainstream? I don't think so. I think that the sexy can still exist with the trickster side. My reasoning behind this is that there are plenty of other sensual dances that USED to be taboo, but are now accepted and admired in the mainstream. One example of this is belly dance.

When most people think of belly dance, they think of the sexy, glitsy, flirty style, known as Egyptian cabaret. It is bouncy, with big flirtatius movements. Up until very recently, that was the predominant style. There are now emerging fusion styles with more subtle, tight, structured movements. They are still seductive, but they do not have that flirtatiousness to it that Egyptian style does. Despite this new emerging trend, Egyptian style is still popular and admired. Why? Probably because it allows women (and men) to feel sexy, just like pole does. These varying styles coexist in the belly dance world, and the mainstream world loves them all! I truly feel this will happen one day with pole. It will just take time.

 Now you tell me, isn't this sexy?



There was a time when swing was taboo, but is now a popular dance form. Same with Salsa. It's inevitable that there will be some backlash when anything in the mainstream is introduced with sex-appeal. The backlash will pass, and we will prevail. It seems that when something new arises that pushes the norm of the time, it is going to have some push-back, but if we stick with our guns we will win the battle and there will be pole for all! In the meantime we need to educate people when they make ignorant rude comments.

People try to use kids to argue the case against pole. People automatically assume that teaching a child pole fitness means we are training them to be strippers. We all know that is absurd, and is another example how we simply need to educate people on the difference between pole fitness and pole dancing. Most polers, if not all, will agree that it isn't appropriate to teach a child to pole dance, but we do believe that pole fitness is a great way to get a child exercising while having fun. 

I leave you with some food for thought. If something meets our needs, brings us joy, fills a void, and doesn't harm others, what does it matter what other people think? That is pole. It is my life, not anyone else's.

Brought to you by the: october blog hop
Want to see other blog hop entries? Check out the list of entries here

5 comments:

  1. We are starting a revolution!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post!! and completely agree with your last statement - I'd love people to understand how awesome and transformational pole is, but if they can't, who cares it won't change what I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so hard to express what pole is to me.

      Delete
  3. Awesome blog. I want pole to keep it's sexy

    ReplyDelete