Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Anonymous Poler - May 2014 Blog Hop

This months Pole Dance Blog Hop topic is "Pole Dance and Social Culture." This is something that hits home with me tremendously. Currently, we live in a society that, in some regards, is progressive and accepting of many things different, but on the flip side, shuns the unknown and is terribly ignorant on topics such as pole fitness. Despite the ignorance, there is the issue of people holding strong opinions on things they don't understand. This is where I have an issue.



Obviously, the first thing people think of when they hear pole dance, pole fitness, aerial pole, etc is EXOTIC DANCER. You pole dance, so you MUST be an exotic dancer, right. Um, no. Now, let me preface by saying that I have respect, and actually quite an admiration for exotic dancers. They do something that I cannot do. Yes, I can be confident, but I am certainly not confident enough to take my clothes off for strangers, nor do I have the patience for that type of customer service. For those reasons, I admire all the exotic dancers. They are strong sensual women and I respect them for that.  Do I take offense when people think I'm a stripper for pole dancing? No, but I am not one, and I don't feel it is appropriate for people to think I am something I am not. I do not feel it is appropriate for titles to be placed on me for which are not true. I also do not like the tone in which people place stereotypes upon a poler, due to our society's fear of sexuality. This dilemma is what a lot of polers face.We polers come in such a variety or careers. We are doctors, lawyers, writers, dancers, artists, scientists, fitness professionals, and more.

This stereotype is one of the driving forces in trying to get pole fitness in the Olympics. It is also one of the reasons that some places strip pole fitness of the sexy aspect completely. Some competitions are starting to require a certain amount of body coverage with costuming, and are attempting to give pole tricks more generic names.

In our current society, people frequently frown upon a poler. One can do aerial silks, double horizontal bars, lyra, gymnastics, even Chinese pole, and be completely accepted, even admired. Take that horizontal pole, turn it vertically and make it metal, and all of a sudden one is attacked with unjust accusations, stereotypes, and labels. Due to this, many of us have to hide in the shadows. Coming out as a poler is often a huge deal for some people. They fear judgment  and abandonment from friends, family, colleagues, etc. Not only that, they risk losing jobs or not being hired. I currently have this issue. The future is unknown for me. I may be moving in the near future, and will have to find a new job. Due to this, I have to remain anonymous in my poling, so that I do not risk losing job opportunities. Yes, there is the notion that I would not want to work for a company that would deny me employment based on such a small factor, but the fact that it is an issue bothers me. This actually happened to a former Platinum Stages consultant, who is not a poler herself, but just the fact that she worked with the pole industry as a consultant, lost her an interview. You can read her experience here.

I dream for the day when pole fitness is accepted mainstream. Not because I crave acceptance, but for the fact that I shouldn't have to live in fear that I could lose a job, friends, or family over something that I love, and that hurts no-one. Pole fitness has had a tremendous affect on my life. It is a part of me; a part of my being! I am 28 years old, and in the best shape of my life. I have muscles I have never had before. I can lift myself for the first time in my life. My HDL cholesterol is at its peak! I love pole, and it kills me that I cannot share it publicly. I can share my belly dancing, clogging, zumba, lyra, silks, acro yoga, and flexibility, but when it comes to pole, I have to hide in the shadows and wait until the stereotypes are gone and I don't have to fear any backlash.

I hope that one day polers will no longer be judged.

I hope that one day polers can "come out" and be accepted for the wonderful, strong, and talented people they are.

I hope that one day we no longer have to hide our passion.

I hope that one day ignorance on pole fitness will be gone.

I hope day one day polers will be accepted for their hobby.

I hope for the day to no longer be anonymous.

I hope for that day...

Want to see other blog hop entries?

No comments:

Post a Comment