Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pole Gloves to the rescue!

I have had sweaty hands for as long as I can remember. In high school I was on color guard and the short flag/pep flag team. I remember ALWAYS being paranoid about the flags slipping out of my hands because my palms were always sweaty. I couldn't understand why the other girls didn't share my grief. Now that I have joined the pole community I have discovered that I am not the only sweaty hands sufferer!

When I first started poling, I again ran into the issue of not being able to hold on to the pole well. I was constantly wiping my hands and drying them with the fan. Over the years I have tried literally EVERYTHING to stop my sweaty hands. I was always terrified of going into a spin, losing my grip, and whirling on my butt into the wall.

I've tried:
I even tried adding tack with:



These grip aids usually work for most people, but for SOME REASON, I am cursed to have hands that sweat through everything you put on them. Apparently I am immune to all sweat prevention methods. Combine that with the fact that, in my climate, all my poles tend to sweat too, which makes gripping even more of a nightmare. Seriously guys, my POLES sweat! (Oye!)

I am not going to go so far as to have botox injections in my hands. I've had botox injections before, in my neck. Hahaha, I felt like a baby with flaccid neck. It was so weird! Actually, I've had more than my share of needle jabs. I took accutane twice, which requires blood work every month for 6 months. I took a phlebotomy course, where we practice drawing blood on each other. Not sure why I thought that would be fun! Oh, and did I mention I had trigger point injections in my neck and head? You can hear the needle hit your scalp. Ewwwwww! *shudder* So, needless to say, I'm all needled out.

With all this in mind, I finally decided to try poling gloves.

I have tried:
All three gloves are great, and each have their different uses. The Mighty grip gloves without tack are great for spins. Mighty Grip gloves with tack are great for hand based tricks. Tite Grip gloves are also great for hand based tricks. The difference is tackiness goes (from the slickest to most tacky): Mighty Grip - without tack, Tite Grip gloves, then Mighty grip with tack being the grabbiest.

The Mighty Grip gloves, without tack, are a sort of faux leather material on the palm side, which enables your hands to glide down the pole with ease. The material of the glove is a bit stiff and needs to be broken in.



Tite Grip Gloves

Mighty Grip without tack

Mighty Grip with tack

The Tite Grip gloves are a sort of rubber-like material that has a texture on the palm side. The material and texture give the glove a light grip, but is not so grippy that you cannot slide down the pole. It is grippy enough so that you can do a Aysha without worry. I have not tried it with spins. The material of the gloves are thinner and don't need to be broken in.

The Mighty Grip gloves, with tack, are made with a vinyl material on the palm, like the straps on pole heels or the material of pole boots. This material loves to grab onto the pole, so it is wonderful for hand based tricks, but you cannot spin in them, and it is difficult to slide down the pole with just your hands. The material of the glove is a bit stiff and needs to be broken in.

I love all my poling gloves, and they have made my poling life so my better. I am not constantly worrying about my hands slipping off the pole. My progress is no longer hindered just because my hands are slick. Thank you Mighty Grip and Tite Grip for these wonderful products!

1 comment: